Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dromana Estate

A full on winery, restaurant and gardens affair that I didn't fully explore but would like to in the future. You walk through a pretty little garden with benches (for afterward) on the way from the carpark to the establishment. The cellar door is the first room of an old looking house turned restaurant with a lovely feel and character.  But I went for the wines, of which there are many. So many that after a tasting you definitely want to sit down on one of those benches outside for a while. There are no less than four labels on offer. Mornington Estate; a very solid drink now label, Dromana Estate; a higher priced Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, "I" Range; a delightfully interesting collection of Italian varieties not rare but not common either and David Traeger; a couple of heavier reds from a winery in the Goulburn Valley. Well, where do I start? Don't dare scoff at the Mornington Estate label. The Chardonnay and Shiraz Viognier are very good (I have fond memories also of the Rose from years ago but it was sold out on this visit) but the others will appeal also depending on your tastes. I like the Dromana Estate Chardonnay but not enough to purchase (I already have a number of Chardies in my wardrobe). Both Pinot Noirs were okay. The "I" range will also appeal to the right palate; I liked the Sangiovese and especially the Nebbiolo (which I bought on my last visit also). The David Traeger Shiraz is a pure delight; heavier but soft, smooth and subtle. All wines are very well priced and definitely offer variety and drinkability to your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment